Monday, April 6, 2009

Lights, camera, action.

What is it about movies that makes us go back for more? I know that for me, it is a sense of escapism. In only an hour and 45 minutes or so, I get to go from being me (single in the city :) to being one of many things. I get to be a blood-sucking vampire (a Cullen of course), a beautiful princess in training, the lovely Carrie Bradshaw, the confused Holly Golightly, and a rebellious mermaid who tries on some legs for size.

For that brief time, I get to be a part of someone else's world. I get to imagine life as a doctor, lawyer, writer, waitress, advertising executive, mother, and wildlife expert. I can swim through the ocean, walk the bush country of Africa, and hail a cab in Manhattan all without leaving the comforts of my apartment. I don't have to worry about trying to find a job because I am focusing on whether or not he will win Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, if Graham and Amanda will end up together, and if Hanna will be found guilty.

I can't ever predict or really know what will happen in my life or the lives of the people around me. But, I can depart from watching a movie knowing if he/she saved the day, if so and so lives, and if love really does conquer all.

No comments: