Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Beware of the Black Swan

Even though I saw Black Swan three days ago, my mind keeps going back to this film. While some of the content was extremely disturbing and psychotic, overall, the movie was extremely well-made. The actors did an amazing job, and the entire team deserves much accolade.

Since I grew up dancing (and still dance to this day), I can sympathize with what these dancers go through. While I never danced professionally, I can attest to the intense pressure most dancers feel to be perfect and be the absolute best. The pressure to be perfect coupled with weight issues and aging can make even the sanest person feel hopeless, confused, and unsure of themselves.

The movie is certainly not for everyone (due to its’ quite shocking and extreme content), but I think it contains lessons that apply to all of us. In the movie, Natalie Portman is chosen to play the Swan Queen, a role which has two parts: the innocent White Swan and the evil Black Swan. She perfects the White Swan but struggles with playing her nemesis.

Unfortunately, I think we all have a Black Swan inside of us. When faced with life’s pressures and stresses, fear, loathing, and self-doubt can take over. We can become deeply entrenched in our own nightmare that we’ve created in our minds. We try to hide or run away but keep running into our worst enemy-ourselves. Trust me, I have been there, and it is a very dark and scary place. To me, the movie brings to light the idea that sometimes our biggest enemy is ourselves. Be careful; when the Black Swan takes over, it is very difficult to fly away.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Ah, love it! I can't wait to see it...