Friday, January 14, 2011

Just say NO!

I had a great conversation on Sunday with a dear friend (thanks Katy!), and she said something so profound that I had to share it with you.

We were talking about how irritating and frustrating it can be when people don't just say what's on their mind and/or be honest with you at all times. Instead, a lot of people sugar coat the truth or twist the "truth" to avoid looking like a jerk. Enough I say!

Katy's brilliant statement was something along the lines of this:

"People say yes because they don't know how to say no."

Such a simple concept, but it rings so true and hits quite deeply.

While lately I've experienced this the most with guys with whom I go on dates, it certainly applies to any sort of relationship-with friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, you name it. My dad always taught me to say what I mean and mean what I say.

Why is this such a hard concept for people to grasp and practice? I'm an adult-just tell me straight up how you feel, what you think, etc. I would rather you be completely honest with me upfront than stretch the truth to save face at the time. Trust me, the truth always comes out, and it also always sets you free.

I challenge you to join with me and say no instead of saying yes just to appease other people. I think we will all benefit from doing so. Make your yes's mean yes and your no's mean no.