Monday, December 21, 2009

Don't idle

Today's go green tip is a big one for me. When I see people who start their cars on cold mornings and then go back in their house/apartment/etc, it drives me INSANE! Yes, I know it is cold, but we live in the SOUTH*! Unless you will be transporting an infant or a sick individual, there is just no need to do this. Your car will warm up soon enough, and you will be just fine. Trust me!

When I lived in my old apartment complex, I would marvel at one woman who would walk down three flights of stairs to start her car and would leave it running for a good 15 minutes or so. Really? It's just unnecessary people. While researching this subject, I came across this interesting bit of information. "Idling for long periods in cold weather can actually cause excessive engine wear," the EPA notes in a report. So, this practice is both bad for your car AND bad for the environment. And it wastes gas.

*If you are reading this and live in an extremely cold area of the world, then do what you want. For the Southerners out there who can't stomach the cold weather, TOO BAD! Be kind to Mother Earth and to your car and stop idling.

No comments: