Thursday, May 27, 2010

The beauty of online reviews

A recent email conversation (thanks Pam!) prompted me to pose the following question:

What did we do before online reviews?

Were we just supposed to buy something, try out a new restaurant, or stay at a resort without any knowledge of said products' capabilities and/or performance rating? Oh the horror!

I don't know about you, but I absolutely LOVE reading product reviews. I love imaging just what "Judy, 42, Cincinnati" and "Ashley, 23, Dallas" look like in real life. Are we anything alike? Does their opinion matter to me? I guess it does because I spend hours (well, maybe not hours, but you get the point) pouring through online reviews to decide if I should buy something or go to a certain place. I get really excited when customers can give something a score via a point system or a number of stars. As a general rule of thumb for myself, I typically don't proceed with my purchase or trip if something does not have at least 3.5 stars. I mean why bother right? On the flip side, I get particularly irritated when no one has written a review for something. Does it suck, or are the people who bought it either too busy, computer illiterate, or too cool for school? I love it when people get really worked up about their dissatisfaction with their purchase...some people really go off. Classic!

Personally, I love writing a review on something. It's one of the few times in life where it's okay to judge something. I try to be as tactful as possible, but if I was very disappointed in something, I will be brutally honest about my purchase. I don't want other ladies who also desire shiny Kardashian hair or the perfect self-tanner to come out with Medusa inspired locks and bright orange skin. I say we help each other out and keep those reviews coming. Regardless of the product-the newest restaurant in town, the wedge sandals I am currently coveting from Nordstrom, or the hot new cell phone, exercise your right to be judgemental and steer others away from making a bad purchase. I can assure that you that there is someone out there in cyberspace who cares about your opinion. Happy reviewing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Should I write a review for this one??? LOVED it! ;)