Thursday, September 2, 2010
Don't ask, don't tell
If you find out that someone is selling their home, here are the Top 5 questions you should NOT ask them. Asking any of these questions would be highly inappropriate, and frankly it is none of your business.
1) How much did you pay for your home?
2) How much do you think your home will sell for?
3) Will you make a profit on the sale of your home?
4) How much did you pay in property taxes last year?
5) How much is your monthly mortgage payment?
Of course it's perfectly acceptable to ask someone how the process is going, and if they have had any activity on the sale of their home. However, asking someone very personal questions (even if they are a close friend of family member) pertaining to money/purchase price is completely unacceptable.
I remain in a constant state of shock when people, especially STRANGERS, ask me questions of this nature because it is none of their business. If I choose to tell you, that is one thing. But if mum's the word, then don't ask, don't tell.