Thursday, December 17, 2009

Hi, my name is...

"Hi. My name is..." At what age is it appropriate to start introducing yourself using both your first AND last name? Is this an age issue, or am I just weird? Wait, don't answer that. But really, when is it appropriate to use your first and last name when you are not in a professional setting? I've noticed that older adults always use both their full name regardless of where they are. I just feel strange using my full name at parties, bars, etc. It feels so formal and forced to add my last name. Why is this? Am I the only one who feels this way?

There's a scene in You've Got Mail where Meg Ryan addresses this issue. She ponders this stating something along the lines of a "whole generation of cocktail waitresses" who only use their first name. I mean, I don't think I'm Cher or Oprah or anything. I just don't always feel like throwing my last name onto my introduction. Besides, Elle has such a nice ring to it :)

No comments: