Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Deep faith in a dark hour

Since last night, I have been glued to CNN watching the courageous rescue of the 33 trapped miners in Chile.  I am blown away by their bravery, positive attitudes, and hope.  Each and every rescue has overflowed with emotion as the miners are reunited with their loved ones.  I can't imagine the joy these men feel when they get to see their loved ones after being trapped for 69 days, over 2,000 feet underground.  I also can't fathom the nerves and anxiety the family and friends of the trapped miners feel as they wait for the miners to ascend in the Phoenix capsule.  If my loved one was trapped 2,000 feet below the earth's surface, I would do whatever it took to bring them back safely. 

I am incredibly thankful that God has richly blessed so many people around the world with the knowledge and expertise necessary to make this rescue not only possible but safe and successful.  Experts keep talking about how the fact that the men worked as a team not only kept them alive, but it kept them relatively sane as well.  I hope that we all learn something from this men-God put us on this earth to work together as a team to do great things. 

In my opinion, the most remarkable part of this entire situation is how many of the miners have been quoted saying that there were 34, not 33 miners down there...they said that God was with them the entire time, and that their faith enabled them to survive such cramped, dark conditions. 

I won't pretend to understand what these men went through since the mine caved in on August 5th, 2010.  But, I do know that God will never, ever leave us even in our darkest hour.  When you feel lost, alone, and trapped, don't forget this:

"He reached down from on high and took hold of me;
he drew me out of deep waters.
He rescued me from my powerful enemy,
from my foes, who were too strong for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster,
but the Lord was my support.
He brough me out into a spacious place;
he rescued me because he delighted in me."
(Psalm 18:16-19)

1 comment:

Missy said...

Lovely Elizabeth. I was obsessed with watching all of those men come out too! Amazing!