Friday, March 19, 2010

Lend a helping hand

Over the past few months, I've witnessed something quite amazing. People want to help each other...I really think that some of us thrive on helping others. Sure, no one is perfect, but I truly think that most people are good-we want other people to be happy, to succeed, and to do great things. This warms my heart and makes me smile.

I've noticed this in small ways like when my friend Jennifer and I would occassionally have to ask people for directions in NYC. Maybe we just happened to ask the right people, but everyone seemed happy to help and eager to make sure we knew where we were going. We even had someone write down a list of places we should check out...while we were all standing up on the subway.

I've also seen how people want to help others in the aftermath of recent catastrophes like the earthquake in Haiti. Millions of dollars have poured in because people don't want other people to suffer. I think that most of us realize that life is not an island, and that we are all in this together. Let's do our best to make the ride safe, fun, and enjoyable for everyone. There's just no need to not help someone if you can do so.

Now, I know that my ramblings are quite idealistic in nature, but I don't care. I would rather continue thinking that people are good and want to help each other than think the opposite. My motto has always been that if you have it, give it, and if you need it, take it. Let's always remember to help each other sweet friends because we are all in this together.

No comments: