Thursday, August 26, 2010

Change maker

Today is Women's Equality Day, and it is extra special because this year marks the 90th anniversary of the 19th Amendment's ratification to allow women the right to vote.  So go vote people! 

Those of you who know me on a personal level know that I am extremely passionate about this issue.  If you don't like something, then change it.  If you don't like how our current administration runs, do something about it.  If you feel like your voice is not being heard, speak louder. 

This applies not just to women but to everyone who can legally vote.  I feel incredibly blessed to live in a country where the voting system is fair (note that I said fair, not perfect).  Having spent a lot of time abroad, I know that this is not always the case in other countries where people technically cast their vote, but it doesn't necessarily count for anything.  In other countries, the simple act of voting can be quite dangerous if you don't vote the way certain people want you to.  Can you imagine living in fear because of your political beliefs? 

One of the many great things about our country is that you can have any type of opinion you want along with the freedom to express it.  Wow...people all across the world can and do die for this right that we so often take for granted.  I often remember one day in college when a large group of post-September 11th anti-war protesters stormed the streets of downtown Athens.  I got into a very heated discussion with one of them who was quite angry and violent despite his messages of "peace."  I later told my brother (he is a Lieutenant in the Navy) about it, and he said this: "While I don't agree with what he says, I choose to be in the military, so he has the right to say express his opinion."  This has really stuck with me over the years. 

Regardless of your political belief system, go out and vote.  This is your very basic right to exercise, so do it.  Especially if you have very strong and open opinions, make your voice heard by voting.  You can take it one step further by writing letters, lobbying for a particular issue, or even running for office.  The freedom is yours, and the responsibility rests on your shoulders. 

Instead of complaining about things all the time, let's do something to change them.  Be a change maker-we CAN change the world, but it starts with you and me.  All you can do is try, so try now and try hard.  Fight for what you want to change and don't take no for an answer.  At the end of the day, if you still don't like how things run here, then move to another country-I really don't want to listen to you complain anymore without doing anything about it. 

No comments: