Thursday, November 11, 2010

In honor of our veterans


Today is Veteran's Day, and I would like to issue a heartfelt thank you to all of the brave men and woman who have ever served and who currently serve in our country's military. We salute you and will cherish you and your sacrifice forever.

Coming from a family who has been very active in the military, today really means a lot to me.  The following people in my family have served in the military: both of my grandfathers, my grandmother, my cousin Tommy, both of my uncles, my father, and my brother currently serves as an officer in the Navy. I am incredibly proud and humbled by their service and dedication. 

I would also like to recognize the sacrifice that the families of service members make.  While we all ultimately wish for a safe return for our loved ones, it can be very hard on the family when they have to miss countless birthdays, holidays, and other special occasions while they serve our country.  It is somewhat bittersweet when someone willingly chooses to join the military.  We admire and respect their decision, but we know we will miss them and worry about them.  So, here is to the mothers, fathers, husbands, wives, brothers, sisters, other family members and friends who stay at home and wait...for news from their service member and in anticipation for them to return home safely.

Most importantly, we honor you, brave veterans of the past, present, and future.  It is because of your sacrifice that I can sit here and freely type whatever I want.  Your courage, bravery, and honor should never go unnoticed.  If you see a service member, please thank them for their service.

No comments: