Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I heart DC!


I recently took a weekend trip up to DC to visit some friends. Having gone to DC numerous times before, I knew I would be in for a treat. There’s just something about our nation’s capitol that excites me. DC doesn’t have quite the hustle and bustle as my beloved New York, but the energy that echoes throughout the city is undeniable.

I stayed with my lovely friend Lacy and her boyfriend Austin Friday night and with my friend Amanda and her roommate Sandra Saturday night. I’ve partied in DC with Amanda, Sandra, and their crew before and was looking forward to doing so again.

As expected, we had an awesome time. We dined on oysters and frites (no oysters for me!) at Granville Moores before watching Amanda’s beautiful ballet performance. Then, we danced to fun music at Rock & Roll Hotel for a few hours. Even though we were all exhausted by the time we got back to their house, we all stayed up for several more hours snacking on popcorn, telling crazy stories, and laughing (at Paul) more than I have in months. We had a fabulous girl’s brunch the next day at Veranda, grabbed some cupcakes at Crumbs Bake Shop (my favorite cupcakes ever!), and logged in some hours on their couch.

During my trip home and for days after my return, I couldn’t shake something. Why was hanging out with their crew in DC SO much fun? I mean, I have plenty of friends in Atlanta and do fun things here all the time. I finally realized that what I love so much about their group of friends in DC is that most of them are single. They have a big group of single girls AND guys who consistently hang out together. While there is one couple in the group, the rest are single (for now). I miss hanging out with large groups of single guys and girls SO much it hurts.

The DC crew is a riot! They refer to Amanda and Sandra’s house at a halfway house since they have had countless people stay with them for a few months while transitioning to life in DC along with numerous visitors like me. They remind me of the cast of Friends. Hanging out with them is like an amazing and refreshing blast from the past-one that I have missed for years.

Now before all the married peeps get offended, hear me out. I love and adore all of my married, engaged, and/or coupled friends more than they know. I cherish my time with them and don’t view them any differently than my single friends. The problem is that as I get older, my pool of single friends gets smaller. I hosted a Valentine’s Day party for my single friends several years ago and had a great turn out. If I had one now, I would probably have about 4-5 people attend. Again, don’t get me wrong, I love all of my friends and want to spend time with them regardless of whether or not they are married. I just really miss having a big group of friends who A) are all friends with each other, B) are mostly single, and C) are available to hang out on a consistent basis.

There is no moral to this story other than to say we all want what we can’t have, and we all long for the fun times of our past. For now, I will focus on my making my present and future the most fun possible; I will have great adventures with all of my friends regardless of their relational status. Who’s in?

No comments: