Monday, March 28, 2011

You CAN shorten it & wear it again

Before you cast away unwanted items of clothing, ask yourself if you could easily alter them to make them wearable.  Have a pair of jeans that is now to short?  Cut them off to make a pair of shorts to wear to the pool or beach.  Is there a dress or top that you don't wear because you don't like the neck or sleeves?  Try cutting the sleeves off or changing the neckline.  This is a simple and easy way to go green.

I am fortunate enough to have a mom who is an amazing seamstress, and she has altered countless items for me over the years.  (Thanks Mom!)  Most recently, she hemmed a skirt for me that I've had for years.  I like the pattern of the skirt, but it was at an awkward length.  By shortening it several inches, it's now at a much more fashionable length.  She also recently turned a floor length bridesmaid dress into a knee length cocktail dress.  Yes, that's right.  I actually shortened a bridesmaid dress and wore it again.  Eat your heart out Katherine Heigl :)

No comments: