Thursday, January 12, 2012

You are not forgotten


Today marks the two-year anniversary of the devastating earthquake in Haiti.  Having seen the destruction firsthand, I can attest to how much work still needs to be done to repair Port-au-Prince and return people to their homes.  I will never forget my time in Haiti, and I hope that we never forget how much our Haitian friends continue to suffer.

They lack basic necessities such as clean water, food, and shelter.  The recovery and rebuilding process is extremely slow, but our donations will make a difference.  
I know there's been a lot of controversy in the recent past surrounding misuse of donated funds.  Organizations (I believe) we can trust are the American Red Cross, Oxfam, and the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund.  

If you aren't in the position to donate financially, you can simply pray for the Haitian people.  They are incredibly warm, loving, and friendly.  Just like us, they long to be healthy, happy, and successful.  This is all most people want it seems.  Unfortunately, not all of us live in a country where this is possible.  Haiti's long-term economic, political, and social problems have plagued its' people for many years.  While I certainly don't have a solution to fix all of Haiti's issues, I know we can start by donating our money, time, and love to them.  Let's honor the 316,000 people who died on January 12, 2010 with our gifts.

No comments: