Friday, March 12, 2010

Elevator Pitch

Why is riding with a stranger in an elevator so incredibly awkward? Is it the enclosed space or the forced conversation (or lack thereof) that makes things so uncomfortable? Being that I live on the 20th floor of a high rise condo building and have a dog, I spend a LOT of time riding the elevator each day. I walk Georgia an average of 3 times per day (more when I have time), plus I am in and out several times per day. That means I ride the elevator an average of 8 times per day. Wow! Plus, I take the elevator at work when I'm wearing very high heels which is almost every day. That makes for a lot of uncomfortable elevator rides. I guess I can always try to make it for fun by choosing one of the 50 Things to do in an Elevator http://www.lifeisajoke.com/miscellaneous88_html.htm.

Having Georgia with me makes it less awkward as I can always fuss with her, and people usually comment on her beauty, good behavior, and piercing blue eyes. It's when I'm alone that things feel weird. Do I say hello to every person who gets on the elevator? Do I force a conversation? Do I say goodbye to them? I read an article recently about elevator etiquette, and I was shocked to see that I violated the #1 rule: Do not use your phone while on an elevator. WHAT? WHY? I think it is less awkward and therefore more polite to check my Facebook, Twitter, and emails instead of waiting in silence or having some lame conversation about the weather. Am I off base here? Is a smile or a nod not enough?

Now, before I get some angry emails and/or comments, don't get me wrong here. I am all about having pleasant conversations with strangers in places like elevators, subways, etc. We've all heard the song "Love in an Elevator" right? I just don't like feeling obligated to talk to someone. Heck, my friend Jennifer and I struck up conversations with strangers all over New York last week...it's how I've made some great friends over the years. I guess I just want to know whether or not it is considered extremely rude to fiddle around with my phone, stare at the wall, or do some other sort of behavior aside from having to make small talk with a stranger. If it is, then I guess I will start working on my elevator pitch immediately.

No comments: