Thursday, April 1, 2010

Dress Code

I had a self-imposed dress code in high school. On Mondays and Wednesdays, I wore a dress or a skirt. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I wore pants or shorts. Fridays were Wild Card Day. Since I was on my high school's dance team, I had to wear my uniform to school every Friday during football and basketball season.

My friends were all aware of my dress code, and people would know what day it was by glancing at my outfit. I don't think I ever broke the code during all four years. Who does this? Why oh why at age *14* did I think this was a good idea? I actually really liked my dress code...it was almost a uniform of sorts. I think it was my extreme Type A personality that needed to control every aspect of my life including what I wore to school each day that made this dress code doable for me. The movie Clueless came out when I was in 8th grade, and I was completely obsessed with the amazing fashions in that movie. Cher and Di's clothes were to die for, and I wanted to dress just like they did. I attempted to do so during my freshman year of high school and loved every minute of it. I even got a white pager (yes, you read correctly-a PAGER) just like Dionne had. I think my parents took it away from me for various offenses more than I actually was able to use it. As if!
I broke away from my dress code when I graduated from high school. I guess I felt it was time to move on from it. But, whenever I think about my dress code, I look back and smile at my crazy ways and wonder what strange thing I will do next.

No comments: