Sunday, May 15, 2011

Happy trails


I don't know about you, but I absolutely LOVE trail mix! It's sweet, salty, and always satisfying. The thing I don't like about it is that it is often high in fat, salt, and calories. And, it can get a bit expensive at the store.

So, I thought, why not make your own? It's easy and fun to make, and it's relatively inexpensive to do so. I love being able to put exactly what I want in my trail mix. All you need is some sort of dried fruit (I like cranberries and cherries), a few kinds of nuts (almonds and peanuts do the trick), and something sweet. I use dark chocolate (the darker the better/healthier) because it tastes great and is better for you than milk chocolate.

Once you have your ingredients, mix them together in a container, et voila! Instant, custom trail mix just for you. It's great to eat on the go and will last for months when stored properly. Happy trails!

No comments: