Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Big Adventure vs. The Love Story

Last week I posed the following question to myself and my Twitter followers: "Why does it seem like you can live the big adventure or the love story but never both?"  You see, I want both.  I want to live life to the fullest alongside my best friend, who will also be the love of my life.  I want to bike the streets of Paris, search for animals on the plains of Africa, and stroll through Central Park together.  I want the adventure AND the love story.  Yes, I realize that this is asking for a lot, but it's what I want and what I know that I deserve.  Truth be told, I think we all deserve such happiness. 

As much as I long to find "The One" (if there is such a thing), I am more afraid of settling down...because I don't want to settle.  I'd like to think that I have rarely settled for anything in life.  I think we should all fight hard for what we want, no matter what it is or how impossible it might be to achieve.  I would rather die trying than never try at all.  I worry that when you "settle down" everything changes.  Dreams seem to die, and life seems to really change. 

Before you get too angry and think that I am criticizing marriage, having kids, etc, please don't read between the lines.  I want to get married and start a family; I want this with all of my heart.  I think that marriage and children are some of the most amazing ways God can bless us.  And, I certainly don't know what really happens because I have never been married.  I guess I just worry that everything changes once you get married.  I'm not saying that single people always get to have all the fun for the price of being single, but that is what I am noticing the older I get.  It seems like you get to either do what you want and be single, OR give up on some of your dreams to start a family with someone.  Why does it have to be an either/or situation?  I want it to be a "Two become one, let's double the fun" scenario.  I guess I just don't see this as often.  Again, don't take this the wrong way.  Not every couple/family fits this mold, and I see couples with children do neat stuff all the time (like Jenn and Marcus-cool couple with a baby who still do fun things-way to go!).  However, more often than not, this is what I've seen which leads us back to my initial question.

But, maybe I've got it wrong.  Perhaps your love story becomes the biggest adventure you've always desired.  Life will inevitably change when you commit to spending your life with someone else.  And it will undoubtedly change when children enter the picture.  I just hope and pray that my dreams won't die, and that the ultimate adventure I've been seeking my entire life will have just begun.  I've had a starring role in several small love stories and numerous exciting adventures, and I cherish all of the memories associated with it all.  For now, I won't dare settle for anything less than big adventures and the greatest love story of all time. 

No comments: