Friday, June 11, 2010

What do you want to be when you grow up?

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" is a question that people ask all the time.  People dream of doing all sorts of things: doctor, race car driver, ballerina, archaeologist, lawyer, football player.  Most often life seems to get in the way, and things like money, time, talent, and other external factors cause us not to pursue our dreams.  I grew up wanting to be a ballerina.  I dreamed of performing with a company like the New York City Ballet and dancing my way through life. 

The older I got I realized that I had other passions as well.  While I will always love dance, it is no longer my dream to dance professionally.  I think we all know that my dream is to live in New York City.  I want to partake daily in the city that never sleeps and experience life in the most exciting city in the world.  Time will tell if this will happen, but I am currently doing every thing in my power (along with praying nonstop about it) to make this my reality.

What is your dream?  Do you want to be a teacher and help shape young people's lives?  Do you want to live in Paris and study architecture?  Do you want to write a book and share your story with the world?  I encourage you to make it happen.  Dream BIG.  The only thing stopping you is fear...fear that you will fail.  I don't know about you, but I would rather try and fail than never try at all.  Don't let fear stop you from pursuing your dreams.  We only get one shot of life on earth, so make today the day that you start making your dreams happen.  Make today your finest hour, and you will never look back with regret that you didn't pursue your dreams. 

No comments: